we're going to be shutting this board down after this weekend. By sunday October 25th I would like everyone to be registered over at the new board :) If you haven't been to the new one yet it's http://etsydlist.ning.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2009 5:33 am  #1

Selling at Fairs and Street Festivals

Well, I took my wares to my first, non-online sale... a street festival.  It wasn't a great experience because there was a lot of garage sale, antique type things there and most people were looking for bargains.  I'm not really willing to haggle on my jewelry.  I did sell 4 pieces though.. which in retrospect is better than I do online in a day.  And I did hand out a lot of promo cards, so there's that.  I think next time though, I'll check to see what type of items are being sold before i participate.
Oh, and one cool thing.  One of the ladies that liked my stuff wants to host a jewelry party at her house featuring my jewelry.  Now, that is pretty cool!  I guess it wasn't such a bad day after all!

So... what is y'all's experience with festivals and fairs etc....?

10/05/2009 6:26 am  #2

Re: Selling at Fairs and Street Festivals

I did one on Sat. I was very pleased.  Made some nice sales but I think more importantly I gave out a lot of cards with the  web site.  I've done 3 so far and I really enjoy doing them.  Next week I'm doing one that is for 2 days, so I'll be busy. I try to  keep a whole different line for the fairs than I have on etsy.  It would be  awful to sell something in both places at once. Most of my things are one of a kind.

Rose
Shop: www.rosepetalsjewelry.etsy.com
E-mail: rlabbate@optonline.net

10/05/2009 6:43 am  #3

That's cool Rose.  When I took my stuff to the street fair, I put my Etsy shop on vacation mode so I wouldn't double sell.  I can see how you might want to keep it up though.  Kind of like having two shops open at once.

10/05/2009 7:50 am  #4

Until I sell something I'm not closing anything.

Rose

Rose

10/05/2009 8:01 am  #5

Thanks for sharing your experience! I haven't done a craft fair before, but I'm thinking of participating in a very small goth/alternative craft fair that is taking place in December. It seems like my stuff would fit in really well. I'm unclear on how much merchandise I will need, though -- I presently have 27 items in my shop and I've got maybe 5 more that, for various reasons, I've decided not to put up on Etsy. That seems like a really small selection, but I don't have the budget right now for more supplies -- until I get more sales.

What do you guys think is a reasonable amount of merch to bring to a small fair (20 vendors or less)?

10/05/2009 11:23 am  #6

I haven't done any fairs or festivals yet, i'm hoping to find something that isn't crazy expensive to have a space at. I've been approached by a couple of people, but one in particular was $350 for a booth, even if i'd had someone to split it with I couldn't afford it right now. especially with my oldest daughters birthday coming up on sunday.

Sandy- That rocks sister! I'm so glad you sold some things while you were there. If anything you at least got some exposure! And that woman hosting the party at her house is fantastic! I'm so glad you had some success with that this weekend.

10/05/2009 11:56 am  #7

I did my first street fair two weekends ago and it was a FLOP!!  It was WAY too big (spanned 40 blocks, with about 10-20 vendors on each block) and wasn't advertised at all, so we just got random walkers-by who weren't buying anything.  So I didn't sell anything, but luckily it didn't cost me a dime to get a spot and it got the nerves of my first street fair out of the way.  I have signed up for 2 separate holiday bazaars here.  You guys may want to check to see if your community centers are having holiday shows.  They are usually pretty inexpensive and people are going there to buy.

~Nicole
www.monkeeta.com

Blog:  http://monkeeta.blogspot.com  |  Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/monkeeta  |  Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/monkeeta

10/06/2009 8:11 am  #8

dbatseatcats,
Maye you could find someone to share the booth with.  That wat it would look like more.  If it's not to expensive I'd do it either way, can't hurt.
Rose

Rose

10/06/2009 8:41 am  #9

dobatseatcats, I would definitely suggest doing the craft fair if it isn't too pricey.  Even if you don't have a ton of inventory, you're still getting your name out there and people may love what they see and buy it all up or request a custom item.  Any exposure is a good thing, so do it if you can!  If you're afraid on how your spot will look, don't worry.  Do you know if you'll get a whole spot or just a table?  Remember, you're going to need room for display items (like a stand or whatever you want to hang your jewelry on) and business cards.  You may also want to bring a portfolio of your work for people to look at in case you sell out of some things.  Then people can see what else you've made and can place an order. 

I think 27 items is plenty!  Table space gets taken up more quickly than you realize, especially when you have display props!

~Nicole
www.monkeeta.com

Blog:  http://monkeeta.blogspot.com  |  Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/monkeeta  |  Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/monkeeta

10/06/2009 12:03 pm  #10

The show only costs $20 to enter (plus the cost of the rental car to haul my stuff, if I can't con someone into driving me -- I don't have a car). So I've got nothing to lose, really, right? Plus I could gain some exposure. The portfolio is a great idea, and maybe I can bring some larger display items to flesh out the table. Really, what I need to do is lay everything out on the table and see how bare it looks.

Monkeeta, I think some of those big outdoor fairs are just overwhelming. I've been to a number of them this summer and fall, as a spectator, and about halfway through I got "crafted out". I looked at the friend I came with and said, "I just can't deal with seeing any more art right now!" At least it didn't cost you anything, though, and hopefully you got some exposure out of it.

10/09/2009 6:24 pm  #11

I haven't done any "craft fairs" but there are 2 local farmers markets that I've done lately, one seems to be going pretty well and I think I'll make myself a regular there at least until Christmas. There are a few bigger crats fairs coming up in the next couple of months that I plan on attenting, we'll see how those go...

10/10/2009 3:23 am  #12

My bags bags are packed I'm ready to go. I hope they come back much lighter.  We are doing a craft show this weekend.  We did one with the same sponsor this summer and it was very good.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Wish me luck.

Rose

10/10/2009 9:40 am  #13

Good Luck Rose!

Mandg  I was also thinking about our local farmer's market. 

Holy Crow!! I just looked at the Berkeley farmers market craft application.   They will not allow jewelry that has any metal created with toxic chemicals or any gems that came from a country with human rights violations Polymer is unacceptable as it offgasses. They only want fabric that was made with 100% organic materials (preferably grown in CA mind you).  Hemp (of course) is acceptable No synthetic materials as they were made with petroleum products.  The list goes on and on.

I mean I want to save the planet too but really don't think I want to be involved in that kind of militant evironmental and political correctness.    Well that's Berkeley I guess.     

http://fiberpuppy.etsy.com
fiberpuppy@comcast.net
www.fiberpuppy.blogspot.com

10/12/2009 6:33 am  #14

I agree, enough is enough. What I have found is that those who scream the loudest , have the most excuses for their "offenses".

Rose

Rose

10/16/2009 7:20 pm  #15

I do a weekly Farmers Market near where I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada...not this week though (raining) but normally do quite well, selling hats and jewelry...
Been crafting and selling at Fairs for many years. I blog about it quite a bit too, if anyone is interested here is my blogsite:

http://msexilei.blogspot.com/

10/17/2009 7:41 am  #16

For those of you who want to sell at a "craft fair" but can't afford the high fees, look for a local farmers market, there are 2 close to me that I sell at alot and they are very reasonably priced. One is $10 per day and the other is about $12 I really like selling there and get decent sales.

good luck!

11/22/2009 11:23 pm  #17

For the holidays, there are many community centers and high schools that hold craft fairs and the space rental is a reasonable price. I didn't do one this year because I just started and don't have much inventory. But I'd like to do one next year and asked a friend to join me to promote her business as well. The street fairs are out of my league right now.

Board footera