we're going to be shutting this board down after this weekend. By sunday October 25th I would like everyone to be registered over at the new board :) If you haven't been to the new one yet it's http://etsydlist.ning.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2009 12:24 pm  #51

Re: random jibbajabba LOL

It really does make you wonder doesn't it. What are people thinking when they make these things? I guess i am not one to judge. The clock lady has over 200 sales...I have 5. too depressing to think about it much.
Lucy
www.goodjewelry.etsy.com

10/15/2009 1:38 pm  #52

I'm not actually surprised by the menstrual stuff. There's a whole group of people who are into that. Very much au naturel, organic living, etc. Not my cup of tea, but not really that much different than things for cloth diaper fans, which I actually did do for a while.

That said, the clock lady and some of that other stuff does depress the heck out of me. I've been really down lately at how things are going for my shop. I've not had time to really focus on it due to some other things going on. About all I do is check this forum right now. So seeing how they can throw up pieces of rubbish on their site and sell makes me wonder.

OK, moan over. 

10/15/2009 1:43 pm  #53

eh seeing stuff like that just makes me want to make my shop work even more. No sense in letting it get us down!!!

10/15/2009 1:45 pm  #54

Oh, I just had a thought!

Christy - those hanging towels... yes, you should market them for Moms, though you might want to see if you can find more kiddie themed ones. I could see solid colors or stripes or whatever working well.

Also, can you turn towels into pull-over bibs? Maybe this should go in the D Lister Alchemy... but we love the pull-over terry cloth bibs. Walmart used to sell them but have a horrible selection now. BabiesRUs have them, but I don't love their selection either.

Just a thought!

10/15/2009 2:20 pm  #55

I just had to chime in... I know it is a little late in the thread but just now seeing it.  Clock lady?  Are you kidding me?!  Is that really her product photo.  OMG!    That cracks me up!  And its working!!!!

www.ducksinarowboutique.etsy.com

10/15/2009 3:11 pm  #56

I was hoping to make y'all laugh.  I wouldn't be too discouraged by the fact that the regretsy folks made sales.  I bet much of it has to do with the traffic they got from Regretsy.  It's super hot now.  I've had at least 2 people send it to me as they know I'm on etsy.

Maybe we could try that tactic.  Each of us make one horrible thing or take a ridiculous picture.  We can then nominate each other for regretsy.  Voila think of all the trafffic.  Just kidding LOL.

http://fiberpuppy.etsy.com
fiberpuppy@comcast.net
www.fiberpuppy.blogspot.com

10/15/2009 4:19 pm  #57

Ok. Shamelesssly looking for sympathy now. My big box of Day of the Dead  stuff that I mailed 2 weeeks ago to the gallery that represents me never showed up. It was sent for some unknown reason to a place I have never heard of in North Carolina.

10/15/2009 5:32 pm  #58

Oh no. 

Are you having a show?  Have they been able to find it?  That stinks.

Christl

fiberpuppy@comcast.net

10/15/2009 5:40 pm  #59

A couple of months ago i became a "regular" at Barehands Gallery in Birmingham, AL. They do a big DOD cellabration. I made some of the best stuff I have ever done, packed about $1000 worth up and mailed it off...Not found as of late this afternoon. After a week of my killer sinus infection, my son at home with an ear infection and...drum roll...the swine flu, now this happens. ARG! Tomorrow is destined to be a better day.

10/15/2009 8:15 pm  #60

Ok I'm sending health vibes your way.  Geez Louise you got a regular hospital going on in your house.  And who is the patron saint of lost things.  We should give a prayer to him.  (Not really catholic just grew up in Boston).   It never hurts to ask.

At some point would be interested in finding out about the gallery thing.  I've decided to consign a bunch of things to a couple local stores.  They swear they can sell my stuff.  But I think it might up my price point if I could do a gallery. Or even a showing at a local spot.  Unfortunately, my stuff just doesn't sell on Etsy so well at the moment.  (Too exprensive and kind of need to touch and feel felted stuff)  But the crazy thing is I put it in someone's hand and they can't let go.

Anyway,  Take care of yourself and your son.  From what I hear swine flu is nothing to joke about.

Christl

fiberpuppy@comcast.net

10/15/2009 10:30 pm  #61

Well, I'm in equipment malfunction mode for the time being.....  the belt on my lathe broke and I have to wait a week for it to get fixed!!!!  At least that's the soonest it could get her.  Guess I should take that time and get to cleaning the shop up!!!  Theres enough wood chips and sawdust out there to fill a truck!!!!  I use a lot of it for mulch in my flower beds but theres even too much for that right now.  I'll get out there this week and maybe when its clean take a few pictures of it for ya!!!  Meantime I guess it's just as well, still no sales, so not really any reason to hurry.  It's hard to keep up being real positive when you spend all your time wondering what is wrong with your shop.  Ph well, I'll stop whining now.

http:/lmturnedart.etsy.com

10/16/2009 2:58 am  #62

Hey Imturned - A little whining is good for the soul...or is that a little wine? 

Fibrerpuppy - I have been selling/consigning things to stores for a while now. Consignments usually want 60 percent of the take and people who buy only want to pay 50 %  of the price. Makes it hard to price work on ETsy. I have wondered sometimes if my stuff is too expensive in the shop because I need to keep the prices the same.

Would you guys mind looking at my shop to see what you think about prices and such? 

I think it has got to be about views...I don't know what else it could be. I KNOW (me being positive) my work is good. I have looked at both of y'alls and it is equally as good. So it has to be that people are not seeing it.

10/16/2009 12:24 pm  #63

OMG I got a sewing machine last night and have been deconstructing/reconstructing anything I can get my hands on since. I was up til 4am last night messing with it...oh boy...i'm doomed.

10/16/2009 3:14 pm  #64

I can't believe your helping to promote this stuff.

Rose
Shop: www.rosepetalsjewelry.etsy.com
E-mail: rlabbate@optonline.net

10/16/2009 4:51 pm  #65

rose wrote:

I can't believe your helping to promote this stuff.

what? the team?

10/17/2009 6:44 am  #66

YIPP"EEEEE they found mt box of gallery stuff!!!

10/17/2009 7:44 am  #67

Yay goodjewelry!!  That's a big relief!!!

Can anybody point me to more information about pricing?  I had a local women's shop express some interest in carrying my work.  I am looking at my prices compared to most other's on etsy and they are high.  But I didn't mark up my materials more than twice, and I figured only about half the labor that I actually put into the work.  So, if I'm going to make a small profit, I can't give the store half of my etsy asking price.  And I don't think I can sell items for one price on Etsy and another at a retail store....

Help.  I am a newbie at this retail stuff.

Please let me know if I should be posting this question on another thread too...

10/17/2009 10:49 am  #68

Goodjewelry  woo hoo!
Christy, take it easy.  That sewing machine may be the death of you. LOL

Encoregems,

I'm sort of in the same position.  I'm definitely only a little above breaking even on the sales to the local shops.  I'm sort of considering that promotion to some extent.  Get the work out there and all. But the Etsy stuff just wasn't selling, probably too expensive, but I know the shops are selling it for what I'm asking on Etsy.  They will take as much stuff as I can possibly make.

I'm thinking maybe if the shops sell the stuff and reorder I may ask for more $ as it has proven sellabiity. 

I dunno.

Christl

Ok probably last post on this board, waiting approval for new d=list board.

In case y'all didn't see check out under team info We've got a spiffy new board with chat space and all.

fiberpuppy@comcast.net

10/17/2009 6:30 pm  #69

Pricing is really hard when you sell in different venues. Sometimes I just don't sell them same things at one place as I do another. Ulitmately you have to price your work at what it is worth and that means upping the materials and paying yourself. I think my items that are in stores sell for a higher price than they would online.

10/18/2009 1:19 am  #70

Oh Christl the sewing machine is like new life for me LOL Seriously it's given me so many more options for items that I can make now that would tie in with items I have already! I'm so excited about it....I just keep finding stuff to do.

Board footera