we're going to be shutting this board down after this weekend. By sunday October 25th I would like everyone to be registered over at the new board :) If you haven't been to the new one yet it's http://etsydlist.ning.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2009 2:13 pm  #1

Shipping

So i'm curious, how do you all do your shipping? When I used to do Ebay stuff back when I just used first class mail from USPS which usually involved standing in line at the post office etc. I got sick of that....granted when I started the Etsy shop I decided to go with USPS priority mail flat rate, since all of my stuff either fits in the envelope or small box. $4.95 seemed a little steep to me so I was like well....i'm going to see what I can do from home. I found www.stamps.com I signed up for their free 4 week trial, got $25 in free postage, and only had to pay S&H for a $50 postal scale that hooks to the computer and feeds info straight into their software. So far I super love it. I don't have to stand in line anymore, in fact if I want I can arrange carrier pickup from my house. But with the fact that I don't go out much I enjoy getting out of the house even if it's just to run something to the post office. I finally just picked up some packaging so now i can weigh my items and lower my shipping prices yay! Hopefully this will help out!

9/22/2009 3:38 pm  #2

Re: Shipping

I'm Canadian and I really wish Canada had something similar. Canada has really high shipping rates and it costs me about $6 to ship a bubble mailer internationally. My shipping prices may very well be a turn off for buyers because compared to U.S sellers it may appear as though I am jacking my shipping fees when I'm only charging bare minimums. So I decided to test out free worldwide shipping on a few things...but it didn't make any difference at all.

9/22/2009 3:53 pm  #3

Yeah I tried doing lower shipping worldwide as well...no go. My domestic rates have dropped significantly since I got stamps.com but my international is still a bit high. It's like 7 bucks to ship international....and thats on stuff that maybe weighs 8 oz. it's crap but i'm not going to lose money on shipping. I've read in a few places to raise your price a couple bucks and lower your shipping a couple of bucks. I dunno....we'll see. I'm still doing some trial and error with it.

9/23/2009 6:53 am  #4

I don't get how some Etsy sellers can charge such low worldwide shipping rates. I guess they must be folding the extra costs into their item prices? I am not in a position either where I can eat the shipping costs, but I don't want buyers to think I'm trying to scam them. Also, I include mandatory insurance in with my shipping costs because I've had packages go missing in the mail before and the buyer, rightfully, got really upset. (this was on ebay, though, not Etsy.) So that drives my prices even higher....

9/23/2009 10:14 am  #5

dobatseatcats- Yep that's what happens, they fold the shipping costs into product prices. Now with me, no smoke no mirrors i'm only charging within 60 cents more than what I would pay, but that goes more towards the packaging and handling for me. I'm with ya on not eating shipping costs, can't afford to.

9/25/2009 8:28 am  #6

I'm also in Canada and our shipping rates are horribly high. I am absorbing some of the cost on international orders otherwise I think I may never sell anything!

9/25/2009 8:37 am  #7

shipping isnt majorly exphensive here, maybe comes to about $3-$4 US dollars, but my items are quite small so they dont actually weigh very much.

I have free shipping, but have added the cost, or at least aprt of it onto the item price.  I know thats high shipping costs are offputting for me, so i like offering as low a price as possible.

9/25/2009 11:02 am  #8

Yeah i'm the same, I don't want to pay a ton in shipping especially if it doubles the price of the item itself. It's like man, I wish I could just drive and get this...but that's hard to do with one of a kind unique items like you find on Etsy.

10/08/2009 4:02 pm  #9

Since my items are smaller, I have a postal scale, bubble envelopes, and small jewelry gift boxes.  After a sale, I package everything and weigh it, then print my prepaid labels thru PayPal.  I can usually fit the package in the USPS blue mail boxes, which are far more available than the post office.  So much easier and more convenient.

10/08/2009 4:43 pm  #10

Shipping has been an issue for us.  It is hard to find the balance between product costs and shipping costs.  I am considering upping prices and decreasing shipping.

Charissa
Shop with us at www.mimisbabies.etsy.com
Become a Facebook Fan at www.facebook.com/mimisbabies
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mimisbabiesetsy

10/16/2009 8:00 am  #11

I just started so I'm offering first class mail as the standard option. So far, the people that want to buy are my friends and I'll just meet them in person to give the items to them. Right now, I'm just limiting to US buyers.

10/16/2009 10:42 am  #12

bluecalla, since you are a Canadian, can I ask you a question about US sellers shipping to Canada? I asked this question in the forums but no one responded....

From the research I've done, it seems that if I include any sort of tracking or insurance, the price of shipping goes WAY up (like, from $4  to $10.95) because the cheapest method of shipping does not allow tracking. I am very uncomfortable with sending untracked packages because the USPS is crap and loses packages sometimes. But I'm equally uncomfortable with charging Canadians more than the cost of my item for shipping! $10.95 for a pair of earrings seems ridiculous.

So, my question is: When buying from the US, would you rather pay more in shipping and have the tracking/insurance, or pay less and take your chances? I guess what I'm not sure of is whether Canadians assume they're going to pay a lot when  buying from the US and are OK with that.

10/16/2009 1:48 pm  #13

dobatseatcats - Be careful offering shipping with no tracking.  PayPal covers the buyer.

Charissa
Shop with us at www.mimisbabies.etsy.com
Become a Facebook Fan at www.facebook.com/mimisbabies
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mimisbabiesetsy

10/16/2009 2:55 pm  #14

I've heard shipping to Australia is off the wall but how do you exclude them. I can't see listing each country separately. In other words how do you include Europe and exclude Australia.
Rose

Rose
Shop: www.rosepetalsjewelry.etsy.com
E-mail: rlabbate@optonline.net

10/17/2009 11:32 am  #15

mimisbabies -- I agree with you, I'm not comfortable with shipping without tracking/insurance. I guess I could list the higher shipping rate to Canada (with an explanation as to why it's so high) and see if anyone takes it. Worst thing that could happen is that no one from Canada buys from me, which is already happening since I don't yet ship to Canada, right?

Board footera