we're going to be shutting this board down after this weekend. By sunday October 25th I would like everyone to be registered over at the new board :) If you haven't been to the new one yet it's http://etsydlist.ning.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2009 10:34 pm  #1

I have a gripe and need to rant about it.

So i was reading around etsy forums tonight and came across alot of threads that were nothing but a "bitch fest" mind the language and then a constant argument between the different views. One of the specific topics was about artfire...actually two of them were about artfire. reading the first couple of pages of each thread I was like omg dude do these people have nothing better to do than to attack this woman for talking about artfire? and attacking artfire itself. Ok so it's a knockoff Etsy...so what...don't hate. At least there's more than one option out there to market your wares. It'd be like oh well I like Target so screw k-mart and wal-mart they suck. Whatever...it just got under my skin a little bit and really that's a big reason why I haven't been visiting forums lately. I'm tired of catty remarks and rude comments, it just really bothers me. Especially when people are asking for an opinion on something and they get snide comments about things it's like ok dude chill out...what stick flew up your butt today and why are you taking it out on this person. Ok I suppose that's enough for now, I just needed to vent a little bit.

9/30/2009 7:58 am  #2

Re: I have a gripe and need to rant about it.

i'm starting to get a little scared to post in the forums. People are so quick to jump down someone's throat. They must all have lots of time on their hands! I get enough negativity in my day job, I don't need to participate in it online, you know?

9/30/2009 8:11 am  #3

I tend to stay away from certain topics.

9/30/2009 8:15 am  #4

I saw a bunch of this going on in the CPSIA forums.  OMG!!  People are jumping down EVERYONE'S throats.  It's ridiculous.  One lady was totally assaulted for using swarovski crystals in her children's items, not knowing they were prohibited by the CPSIA laws.  Instead of politely telling her that she can't use them, people tore her a new one and kept attacking her over and over, even after she said she didn't know and that she was taking those items down.  So sad!  People should really just worry about themselves and spend all that time and energy on something productive.  That's why I've been staying away from the forums there too.  I'm worried I might inadvertently say something wrong and have the etsy police up my butt.

~Nicole
www.monkeeta.com

Blog:  http://monkeeta.blogspot.com  |  Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/monkeeta  |  Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/monkeeta

9/30/2009 8:43 am  #5

Monkeeta wrote:

I'm worried I might inadvertently say something wrong and have the etsy police up my butt.

I think the problem is that there are no Etsy Police! 

Don't the posters realize that whatever they say is a reflection on their businesses?  The other day a group of them were making comments regarding males' anatomy.  So inappropriate!!  If I walked into a B&M and overheard the owner talking like that, I would immediately leave and never return!

And the language... using **'s to replace letters in "banned" words doesn't make them nicer words IMO--they're still the same words. 

OK...I'm all fired up right now!  Think I'll go out and split some logs now 

~~Margie
www.kangarooknits.etsy.com

9/30/2009 11:04 am  #6

Ok so i'm not the only one that has issues with the etsy forums. I do have to go there to participate in my creativecrochet team thread...but those ladies are super nice. I actually like chatting with them I really like you guys too, I haven't had any negative interaction with anyone here It's really a nice breath of fresh air. Mostly when I go to forums I just browse around for helpful information now. I'm not into the mama drama that alot of people are starting lately. it's reeeeeeeeeeeeediculous lol

9/30/2009 12:13 pm  #7

I have to agree, there's no need for all that hostility. I was reading a post from someone screaming that another person called a certain stone by an inaccurate name.  If it was an error than there are other ways of getting it corrected. I myself have found when purchasing stones beads sometimes the sales person tells me the wrong thing.  This happened twice the other day.  I happen to have known she was incorrect, but I'm sure sometimes I don't.  Then I would give misinformation.  Patience is a virtue.

Rose
Shop: www.rosepetalsjewelry.etsy.com
E-mail: rlabbate@optonline.net

9/30/2009 1:34 pm  #8

There was a woman the other day complaining about how she had paid 2.99 in shipping for an item and when she'd gotten it the postage amount was much less...I think it was like a 1.22 or something like that. She was ranting about how she felt it unfair that the person charged her 3 times the actual shipping. Now...i'm sure i'm not the only one that tacks on a bit extra to cover the cost of packing and shipping material. I think I add like an extra 70 cents to pay for the envelope and other things I use to package my items. I feel that's fair, when you buy from places like amazon, target, or any other online merchant they charge a handling fee in addition to the shipping costs. Not to mention the fact that shipping materials aren't free, and in reality it might cost me more than 70 cents to package something. Ok...now the next half of this womans rant was in regards to how the seller packaged the item. The item in question happened to be a baby onesie, she said that it was just put in the envelope without tissue paper or even a thank you note for the purchase. That I can see her complaining about, if it were me I would have complained too.  Now all of the people that responded to her post totally bitched her out which I think is ridiculous. I can see what some were saying about how she agreed to the shipping cost when she purchased but when she actually got the package and saw how much it cost that's when she flipped a lid, that I don't agree with. If you agree to pay something in the first place then don't bitch later. Seeing the condition of the package when it got to me and knowing they just didn't put much thought into packaging it I would think to myself that the person charged me almost 2 dollars more for virtually nothing. I package all of my items in a giftwrap and tie it up with curling ribbon and I then attach my card thanking them for the purchase and giving my contact info. I feel that if a person takes their shop seriously that they would at least wrap something in some tissue paper and at least hand write a little note thanking the person. Everyone does it a little different, but just putting something in an envelope is highly unprofessional by my standards. Not to mention the fact that you should take the little extra step to make the person excited about receiving their item, they did choose to buy handmade rather than mass produced cookie cutter items. I feel as shop owners we really need to differentiate ourselves from mass produced products by putting that personal touch on things. I know that when I get stuff from amazon or whatever they don't put in thank you notes lol. and they charge extra if you want something gift wrapped, I do that because it makes me feel better about sending out my stuff. And I hope that once my customer recieves their package that they feel special because their items come wrapped with care Ok i'm done with that now LOL let me know how you guys feel about the same subject.

9/30/2009 4:43 pm  #9

That is why I am so happy here in D Lister land.  I like positive people and drawing from the enerygy.  I do go the the forums, but honestly, the only reason any more is to post that I just updated my blog.  And invite people to follow me.  And the whole ArtFire thing... I believe in positive abundance and think there is enough to go around for everyone.  Especially in a cooperative environment.  Most of the people on the E Forums as scared and they rant out of fear.  We all have fear, and get stressed, but what good does it do to attack people.  I think those types of threads should be reported.

Last edited by soulstone321 (9/30/2009 4:54 pm)

9/30/2009 5:11 pm  #10

LOL. I'm a moderator on a forum and in charge of the Politics threads. Those can get pretty crazy so I'm probably immune to a lot of the nastiness! That said, it takes a while to figure out who the big posters are in a forum and what their game is. Unfortunately, as with any forum, some old timers tend to get very tired of the newbies questions because they're jaded and have seen it all. But by that point, they're addicted to posting in the forums and have forgot the Thumper Law, 'if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.'

It would be nice if Etsy would get some proper moderators on the forums though. And for the love of Mike, I wish they'd switch to some proper forum software!

9/30/2009 10:56 pm  #11

speaking of d lister land...i'm getting messages almost daily from people wanting to join the team. omg...how nuts is that?

10/01/2009 9:06 am  #12

lol

i'm a mod at a political forum too...and been called many things and accused of being unfair and being bias etc etc....like water off a ducks back now..

i just go intot he forums to promote or if theres a topic which soudns itneresting i read through it or aprticipate quickly.  some topics i dont even read, i jsut respond and leave!

the forum mvoes way too fast anyway all topics get lost!

10/01/2009 12:07 pm  #13

I think we should try to keep this one positive.  A positive aptitude helps everyone.  I don't mean we shouldn't correct when it is called for, but in a nice way.  It's' not hard.  On that note could someone tell me how to start a new thread.  I feel like the village idiot. Thanks

Rose

10/01/2009 12:12 pm  #14

It seems that only about half the people who said they wanted to join,  have. This is my only team so I'm not sure how big they get.  It would be a shame not to include someone because other people who are not participating.  Is there any way to send out a reminder?  I would be glad to help.

Rose

10/01/2009 12:51 pm  #15

just go to a forum and select new post rose. if there isn't a forum that doesn't cover it let me know...or just put it under general discussion

10/01/2009 4:08 pm  #16

The 'new post' link is in the upper right of the screen... took me a bit to find it! 

10/02/2009 9:00 am  #17

The forums can get really nasty really fast when the issues of copyrights and using commercial patterns to make things for sale comes up. One of my first posts in the forums was about using patterns and I got raked over the coals and told I wasn't a "real" artist. It really shocked me and I've been very careful about the threads I join now. There are a couple of posters who have to say something mean and snarky on nearly every topic and I can't see how they get any good publicity from that!! I definitely would never buy from a B&M shop if I heard the owners talking to potential customers like that!

10/02/2009 1:08 pm  #18

Agreed.  As small businesses we have to be careful what we say.

Charissa
Shop with us at www.mimisbabies.etsy.com
Become a Facebook Fan at www.facebook.com/mimisbabies
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mimisbabiesetsy

10/02/2009 4:53 pm  #19

stitchesintime, i've seen a few threads where costume jewellery, or at least the variety i make which isnt made using my own handmade beads, or my own metal or whatever is considered some sort of issue, as if we should be ranked on talent.  Everyone ahs their customer base, i dont know why people feel the need to inform tohers if they think they're 'real artists' or not.  that jsut annoys me big time.

10/02/2009 6:59 pm  #20

I say if you have the creativity in you and you do something about it by making things no matter what it is, you're an artist. People like my mother in law that don't have creative talent look to folks like us to bring things to them that they themselves can't do (she'll be the first to admit it) I don't care what it is, how handmade it is, or how much store bought items you put into it...everyone is an artist or creator. There's nothing wrong with using pre-made things like beads and such. Heck I guess i'd be a black sheep for not crocheting the whole damn towel LOL But see there aren't alot of people out there doing the things we do, and I hate that people bash every chance they get on the first thing they "feel" is wrong with someone elses items. Sorry you have to bash on other peoples stuff because of your self-issues and possible insecurities with your own work. That's how I feel LOL

10/03/2009 8:57 am  #21

Amz, I've seen that too -- people talking disparagingly about those of us who just "ASSEMBLE" our jewelry using beads and charms we've bought rather than hand-forging every single piece of metal that we use! I've seen it with things like screen-printed clothing, too -- people complaining about etsians who print on store-bought T-shirts rather than hand-sewing the T-shirts from scratch. That really bothers me. If other people want to metalsmith every single charm or whatever that they use, great, have at it! But, that's not what I do -- I've really no interest in that, nor can I afford that kind of equipment, and I think there should be room on Etsy for all types of creation.

10/03/2009 9:54 am  #22

As someone who does not enjoy putting beads together, I don't mind at all if the artist did not make the bead.  I look more to the finished product than the assembly process behind it.

Charissa
Shop with us at www.mimisbabies.etsy.com
Become a Facebook Fan at www.facebook.com/mimisbabies
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mimisbabiesetsy

10/03/2009 10:18 am  #23

Jeez,  I mean really.   If you compare it to what I do,  I'd have to raise sheep, shear them, spin the wool, dye the wool, knit and felt in order to be considered an "artist".  I think it's perfectly fine if you specialize in one part of the process.  It means you probably have better expertise in that area.

Boo to the haters.

Christl

http://fiberpuppy.etsy.com
fiberpuppy@comcast.net
www.fiberpuppy.blogspot.com

10/03/2009 11:18 am  #24

lol I guess we're all "semi-homemade" artisans then (anyone that watches food network will get that)

10/03/2009 4:37 pm  #25

I don't post much on the etsy forums because I've noticed this as well.. it seems like things are taken too personally on there, and everyone has been getting so offended lately. Especially about all the artfire/etsy stuff.. it's wierd for me because I have a shop on both sites, and generally like artfire better (for all the customizable options I have there -- a lot more freedom! And one-page-listings are a breeze!) but I feel like a traitor for saying that! How crazy is that.

We should be supporting eachother, not fighting. I think it's awesome that we all have our preferences and niches. If everyone created the same stuff, it wouldn't be as interesting. But sometimes the angry voices are louder than us passivists

Finding Brilliance has never been easier.
Shop latest collections.
Learn more.

Board footera