we're going to be shutting this board down after this weekend. By sunday October 25th I would like everyone to be registered over at the new board :) If you haven't been to the new one yet it's http://etsydlist.ning.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2009 11:28 am  #1

random jibbajabba LOL

So I posted my second pre order today as well as the two halloween items I have. I"m pretty excited about them they all turned out really nice and i'm hoping my halloween stuff goes soon I'm built up to 12 items now, but that' won't be for long...so I need to get back crackin at making more stuff. I have a "coffee" themed set i'm getting ready to start and I also have a sunflower theme too! I actually have alot of really neat items coming up. Once the 1st comes around or I make some sales i'm going to start my terra cotta "washcloth flower" pots. I am HUGELY excited about those!

9/26/2009 11:36 am  #2

Re: random jibbajabba LOL

Today my husband was trying to find a place to sit while plugging in the laptop in my (our) office.  I realized I really must organize.  There was yarn, finished products scraps tools EVERYWHERE.   So after organizing I took a look around and had to chuckle.  I have the weirdest collection of things I use.  Hazelnuts, sponges etc.

I was thinking about doing something on my blog about the weird/funny tools or fixes we all use in our crafts.  Necessity is the mother of invention and most of us are working on a shoestring budget.

If anyone has a funny story,  picture or method  (no need to give out trade secrets).  I'd love to hear about them and share them on my blog.  I plan on showing a picture of my studio and let people try to guess what everything is.  Ooops already gave something away.

http://fiberpuppy.etsy.com
fiberpuppy@comcast.net
www.fiberpuppy.blogspot.com

9/26/2009 5:41 pm  #3

lol

I actually cleared my beads into drawers last week cause there were supplies all over the place!

Today i cleared some space usptairs and put a desk for me to work on close to where all my beads and findings are...also good space to set up for pictures.

had some great ideas to reuse old clothes and buttons to make some more unusual pieces of jewellery...i just hope the idea can be put into rpactice effectively!

9/26/2009 7:37 pm  #4

Our office currently is occupied by a bunch of boxes of things that my mother in law has been sending us from florida. The thing is we were just there last month and while we were there my husband had gone with his mom to her storage and helped her go through it finding alot of things that he really wanted to keep that were from when he was a kid etc. So slowly boxes of things have been showing up on my doorstep and my husband and I have been so busy we haven't done anything with these boxes. Not to mention the fact that our desktop computer in there has viruses  and we can't use it right now. So I set up shop in the living room with the lap top.

One corner of my living room is dedicated to being my studio/office. I have my one corner spot in the couch that everyone knows better not to sit in and there's an end table next to it with the printer, my postal scale and a few other things, and next to that is one of those little 3 drawer carts with all of my craft wares in it. Currently i'm using a huggies diaper box to keep all of my unfinished towels, yarn etc in so that way I can keep it at my feet and keep my mischievous children and kitten out of it. The back of my couch above my head is where I keep my crochet bag and my current towel project so that I can easily grab things and again, it keeps it out of reach of my kids and cat. My husband thinks its hilarious that I set up shop right here...i'll have to take a picture and post it in my blog so you can all see my one little spot.

It's definitely much more convenient too for me to work out in the living room where the kids can be and I don't have to worry about them getting into stuff like I would if I had set up in the office. All in all it's just alot better for me to be out here. It sucks I don't have a defined space in my home for this but I make do with what i've got.

As far as crazy tools to make my stuff, as of right now I don't have anything strange, but i'm sure that i'll have something eventually

9/28/2009 5:13 pm  #5

Heh. My work space is a nightmare.

We actually have a lovely office, but it's dark so not good for the work I do (I do a lot of intricate cutting and need really good light for this). Right now, I can only make mats when my 2 boys are in bed or out of the house. I do that at our dining room table and keep most of my supplies in a multi-tiered cart that is covered with a pinned table cloth to keep the kids out of it!

Most of my marketing/online work is done on my laptop on the sofa while watching TV or keeping an eye on the boys. However, I think I'm neglecting my husband as he watches TV upstairs (we live with my mother and cousin and he needs down time from them!). So I think I'm going to try to set up a small work space in our bedroom.

I've got my shop stocked with 18 mats and I have another 10 in the works so this week I am hoping to get to some of the other products I want to start carrying.

9/28/2009 8:45 pm  #6

I posted my "dishcloth flower pot" today...I only made one to see if anyone even likes/buys it. I would love to do more but dont want to put out the money towards something that might not sell. I want you guys to check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31715562

9/29/2009 12:25 am  #7

Ok so in my random adventures on etsy this evening i'm scrolling through some shops of people that are here in vegas. I'm curious to see how people are doing and maybe even get to know some local shop owners, they could possibly teach me a thing or two So I stumble across one in particular, open it up and start to browse what this person has to offer. Well...it's more than just t-shirts and scarves, well...that's all she sells. Take a look at this girls shop and tell me what else you guys think she's promoting LOL go look...you'll see what I mean!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5110069

9/29/2009 2:54 am  #8

9/29/2009 6:42 am  #9

Do you get a discount if you buy two!  LOL 

Last edited by soulstone321 (9/29/2009 6:43 am)

9/29/2009 9:20 am  #10

Wow.  I guess that sales tactic might work better if she was selling to men.  I mean really if I could get David Beckham to pose in my scarf and his underwear I think my sales would go through the roof.

http://fiberpuppy.etsy.com
fiberpuppy@comcast.net
www.fiberpuppy.blogspot.com

9/29/2009 11:35 am  #11

LOL Yeah I agree...if she were selling to men it would work fab...but to women...not so much. Dude...if you could get david beckham to do that I would bow at your feet hahah!

I'm not so sure if you get a discount for buying two LOL

10/04/2009 10:19 pm  #12

so I had the fortunate opportunity to go to the tattoo expo here in Vegas today for free. It was really cool and alot of fun! I didn't see anyone super famous but that's ok we still had a good time. I still have yet to see a famous person....haven't seen one yet lol

10/05/2009 12:11 pm  #13

I'm confused.  Is that shop advertising for a plastic surgeons office or really trying to sell scarfs and shirts?  LOL!

~Nicole
www.monkeeta.com

Blog:  http://monkeeta.blogspot.com  |  Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/monkeeta  |  Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/monkeeta

10/05/2009 12:51 pm  #14

All the men in my office have hearted her ;-)  And thanked me for showing them.

10/05/2009 7:18 pm  #15

LOL you guys wouldn't believe this other shop I saw. Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against vaginas, but I don't really want to buy vagina shaped pendants, paintings, pillows etc. It's quite different and obviously people like her things because she has like 271 sales...but not this kid...i'll stay "vagina item" free

http://www.VulvaLoveLovely.etsy.com

10/06/2009 2:04 am  #16

ugh. i'm feeling so empty right now, I haven't made anything in like 3 days and didn't even think about it...what's wrong with me? I did find a site where the lady has youtube videos that she teaches you how to make stuff...I found this cute little cupcake one and made that tonight....I did it in black and orange...figured what's wrong with a spooky evil cupcake LOL I feel a little better from it...but i'm really just feeling blah about things lately.

10/06/2009 2:15 am  #17

LOL..ROFL!   vaginas!  Just because I have one doesn't mean I want to wear one!  Thank you for that laugh.  I needed it. 
Now.. about this blah feeling, just ride it out girlie.  You are by far one of the most dynamic people I have ever met (sort of met) and you run at 100mph (I so envy that).  Your a mother, a wife, and artisan of beautiful things and now a moderator.  Give yourself a break.  The world isn't going anywhere.  Sometimes, when we feel empty and blah, it's the universes way of saying, step back... take a breath and be calm in knowing all the wonderful things you have in your life.  Sometimes, moving fast makes the world blur a little and you need to "stop and smell those roses"!  You don't have to be all things to all people all the time.  Sometimes you just need to be.  That's when the creative excitement will come back.  OK, off my soap box now.  <BIG HUGS>

10/06/2009 6:42 am  #18

The ho-hah stuff is big. She's not the only seller if I'm not mistaken. Not my cup o' tea though!

I'm feeling blah, too. I'm finding it really hard to juggle everything right now. We're down a car as ours is in the shop indefinitely. My son has been diagnosed with major food allergies so we're having to reinvent our cooking and kitchen, I just got a part time job that I really don't want (only bonus is it's with a major craft retailer so *discount*!!!), and I've not had a single sale since I first opened and that was a mercy sale (the other sale was supplies which was a fortuitous occurrence and not something I will be able to do again).

Blah!!

10/06/2009 6:44 am  #19

Oh my.... actually, those vagina items are more georgia o'keefe-ish than some I've seen, which were VERY realistic and anatomically correct!

Also, check out www.abitabite.etsy.com -- I saw her at Renegade Chicago. She makes pincushions and cat toys that look like, ahem, the male organ. (I actually thought about buying one of the catnip toys because I thought they were funny, but decided that my boyfriend might get upset if he came home and the cat was gnawing on a penis, hahahaha)

10/06/2009 8:50 am  #20

Wow, looks like I went into the wrong craft.  I need to make private parts!  LOL!!  When I first looked at the vagina pendants, I thought, that's a pretty flower.  HAHA!!  A pretty "flower" indeed.  I can totally see an old lady buying one and thinking it's just a rose or something and walking around with a vagina on her neck.  Too funny!  And dobatseatcats, yeah, I don't think a guy would like to see a cat gnawing on a wang.

Christy, you're doing an AWESOME job with this group and everything, so there's no wonder why you haven't had time to make something.  You'll get stuff made, don't worry.  I know how you feel though.  I have two kids under 2, and I'm finding it super hard to get anything made lately.  Heck, I can't even get my stuff posted that I've already made.  But it will get done in time.

~Nicole
www.monkeeta.com

Blog:  http://monkeeta.blogspot.com  |  Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/monkeeta  |  Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/monkeeta

10/06/2009 9:49 am  #21

I wrote a post in my blog today about slowing down and not getting caught up in the etsy frenzy, and going at my own pace, and another person commented and said she was feeling the same way, so she took a break, went and took a nap and when she came back she had sold something!  Lesson learned she said. 

10/06/2009 11:48 am  #22

Christy, I get that way too sometimes (and i don't have kids! Don't know how you manage!). I think it is OK to put down the crafting, and take a break, if you are just not feeling it. I do that sometimes and after a few days, I get itchy to create something again. This is all supposed to be fun, right?!?

10/06/2009 1:34 pm  #23

Thanks you guys! I really love all the support that everyone gives eachother here This is my safe place sometimes, i'm scared of the forums anymore LOL My dear sweet mother in law recently inquired about having me make her towel sets for the holidays, i'm pretty excited about it seeing as though she wants to pay  me for them like anyone else would. I told her that she needs to set up and Etsy account and buy them through my shop so I can get the sales tacked on to my total. She's not highly computer savvy so she had asked me to set it up for her and give her the information, which I did. But I still have yet to even get started on her halloween set which is only like 26 days away, so I better get crackin. I went yesterday and hung out with my mom for awhile she's been working alot so I haven't seen her much in the last month. She dyed my hair for me which is awesome it was starting to look really poopy since my blonde highlights were grown out and I had probably a good inch of brown roots LOL So I definately think that helped me to go spend time with her I really miss her. Going to the tattoo convention was nice my dad watched my girls so we could go child free and that was really nice. I don't get much time without my kids so when I get the opportunity I take advantage! My husband was nice enough to offer to have me put the girls in day care like 1 day a week but it would cost like $200 a month for just one day a week...forget that...I would love to have the break but I would rather save the money and use it for something we need...not to mention why should I pay someone to watch my kids when I can do it for free. I also had some super amazing Hooters wings on sunday, I ate 10 faster than my husband did LOL The frosty cold beers that I had with them just made it all the more better. Since i've been thinking about all these good things that have been happening i'm starting to come out of this funk a little more. I picked up a towel set and started crocheting away. I did end up buying Laura's bike (thank my mother in law for overnighting the money) so i'm a little less stressed about that now that i have the main present for her birthday. Things are just starting to come back together. Hopefully today will be a good day

10/06/2009 3:28 pm  #24

That a girl.  That's the old Christy we know and love.  Shine on girlfriend!

10/06/2009 4:16 pm  #25

i've been feeling like I haven't been doing much for the team lately...and I don't want that to fall through the cracks, but at the same time I need to understand that I can't spend 24/7 doing team stuff and that I need to do stuff for my shop otherwise it'll suffer. I've worked way too hard to let that happen! I finally photo'd my coffee basket which made me really happy since it's been sitting around for close to a week. I'm also really happy about the awesome feedback i've gotten from you guys about it

Board footera