we're going to be shutting this board down after this weekend. By sunday October 25th I would like everyone to be registered over at the new board :) If you haven't been to the new one yet it's http://etsydlist.ning.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2009 7:35 pm  #1

Camera recommendations?

I'm saving up for a new camera, as mine is ancient and the macro function doesn't work very well. What do you all have? Is it possible to get one that will do a good job photographing jewelry for less than $200? Currently I'm stuck borrowing a camera that is really nice but I'm told it cost $500. ouch!

9/22/2009 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Camera recommendations?

I have a canon that my husband had before we got together...he said he paid about $400 for it in Korea while he was there. It's cool and it works for now but it's about had it. Once tax time comes around we're buying a new one for sure! I suggest checking out anything Nikon or Canon both very good brands and i'm sure there's probably something within your budget. We don't all have to have those super nice professional photographer looking cameras to take great pictures . When I first started I couldn't find our camera and had to use my old digi and it's a canon....quite ancient...but still takes great pics.

9/23/2009 8:01 am  #3

My husband has one of those super fancy, professional cameras that cost a fortune!  But, I have a little Nikon Coolpix that takes great pictures.  You can get one of those for really reasonable.  Check Amazon.com too!  They have great deals and free shipping.  That's where we bought mine.

~Nicole
www.monkeeta.com

Blog:  http://monkeeta.blogspot.com  |  Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/monkeeta  |  Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/monkeeta

9/23/2009 9:49 am  #4

A few days ago, my husband bought me a refurbished Nikon S52 for $99.  It has really good reviews and is easy to use. I like that the colors are more accurate which means less tweaking of pictures on the computer.  Plus, the manual is easy for me to understand! 

edit:  Nikon Coolpix S52

Last edited by KangarooKnits (9/23/2009 9:50 am)

~~Margie
www.kangarooknits.etsy.com

9/23/2009 10:04 am  #5

Man, you guys are convincing me I need a better camera.  I like the refurb idea.  KangarooKnits, where did he get the refurb, from the Nikon site?

9/23/2009 10:31 am  #6

I posted a link to an e book about adjusting settings and taking good pictures, I think it's in the Resources Forum under the links topic. if you're unsure on how to change certain settings just read your manual that's what I did, I'm going to experiment today with some new photos and settings. The camera I have is a Canon Power Shot SD700 IS. Nothing too fancy, just a regular old digital camera.

9/23/2009 10:33 am  #7

9/23/2009 10:43 am  #8

soulstone321 wrote:

Man, you guys are convincing me I need a better camera.  I like the refurb idea.  KangarooKnits, where did he get the refurb, from the Nikon site?

He bought it at www.adorama.com and shipping was $10.00.  The same camera is about $400 at Amazon. 

~~Margie

9/23/2009 11:00 am  #9

What kind of camera do you all use?  Do you use light boxes or natural light?

9/23/2009 11:22 am  #10

I use a light box that I made from the strobist site. but inside I just use the natural diffused light from the window

9/23/2009 11:27 am  #11

Oh, just a neat tip for ya'll.  I went to Michael's Crafts and bought a bunch of scrapbooking backgrounds.  I'm starting to use those in my photo shoots (works best on small items like jewelry).  So far, I really like it.  I need to work on better photos. I'm hoping that will help.

Here is an example:  http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30992644

9/23/2009 11:31 am  #12

OOOOH! I like that picture...very nice. My stuff is too big to do that with :-/ LOL I have to use the lightbox....JoAnn Fabrics believe it or not has a ton of scrapbooking stuff too....I actually scooped up some cardstock there recently buy 2 get 3 free what a deal!

9/23/2009 1:39 pm  #13

I use natural light and usually shoot outdoors but pretty soon it is going to be too cold and dark to do that. I guess I'm going to need to look into making a light box...

9/23/2009 1:59 pm  #14

dobatseatcats- That's why I love living in Las Vegas, it doesn't get that cold and the sun shines almost year round

9/23/2009 2:16 pm  #15

HippieChickBoutique wrote:

dobatseatcats- That's why I love living in Las Vegas, it doesn't get that cold and the sun shines almost year round

I live in an area of Northern NV that is always sunny, but is often very windy and dusty. During the winter, our high temps can be 35 degrees.  Fortunately, I have a couple of rooms which get a lot of sunlight so I can shoot indoors.

~~Margie

9/23/2009 2:31 pm  #16

Margie-Thats why i'm perfectly happy with living in southern NV I know what you're talking about with the wind and dust there were a couple of days here this last week where it was crazy windy and the "sand/dust" was blowing everywhere....couldn't hardly open your eyes outside.

9/23/2009 2:35 pm  #17

Oh, I forgot to mention the big dust devils which blow through here! I recently decided that I'm not cleaning windows again until we put the house up for sale---which won't be for several years!

~~Margie

10/01/2009 9:18 am  #18

mine is a fujifilm S1000 which was around £129 here, but has great zoom and double macro function, so it can get really close.  i just need to learn how to make it work

10/04/2009 10:42 am  #19

Make sure that whatever camera you have, it has an exposure value meter, and a white balance adjuster. Some cameras are automatic about it, but some can be manually adjusted for the conditions such as fluorescent lighting, daylight, clouds, tungsten, etc.

Very helpful if you want to get clear, crisp lighting.

10/10/2009 6:20 pm  #20

I have a Canon PowerShot A720 IS. Don't ask me what any of that means because I really don't know. My sister-in-law had the version before it and I thought it was great so when I finally invested in a digital I chose the 720.

I never read the manual on the camera so two weeks ago when I started to re-take my photos I was playing with the setting dial at the top and found an indoor white setting thing that everyone was talking about on the forums so now it takes pretty good photos.

www.craftsforacure.etsy.com
http://craftsforacure-elizabeth.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/craftsforacure

10/23/2009 7:36 am  #21

I was thinking about asking my hubby for a new camera for xmas. I have a photographer friend who I can email for advice. Maybe ask someone at the store where you are buying the camera. The sales poeple are often educated on the pros and cons of each camera. Try Bestbuy.

www.hairsewvintage.etsy.com

www.hairsewvintage.blogspot.com

11/28/2009 9:18 pm  #22

My older camera lens died...won't close all the way.
So I just cashed in my Visa points and got another Nikon Coolpix from Amazon...great price under 100.00
However, it is 10mp and 3.6x zoom and all of th pics I take came out with files way to big to load to my shops even after I edited them to almost nothing.
So I changed my mp to 5 and they are still too big....so I joined Picnik photo and resized them all.
I still cannot get Etsy to upload the pics...they are telling me that it is not JPEG or PNG format...but I save them to my computer as either or.
So...I still can't finish stocking my Etsy Shpo for the Holiday season since I cant upload the pics.
Any suggestions.............PLEASE HELP?????????????
thx

12/06/2018 12:06 am  #23

I'm also going to buy a new one soon. Just looking for best deals online to save a little.

12/16/2020 4:55 pm  #24

Hi all, didnt really see a separate category for this, and it has to do with the D50, so Im posting here.What kind of bag does everyone use to hold their D50 and a lens? Im not looking to buy a huge bag to store my camera, 4 lenses, speedlight and cleaning kit -- just something decently small and as unobtrusive as possible for a dSLR, anyway.My Sigma 18-200 is pretty small as far as lenses go looking at the specs, its about 70mm in diameter x 78.1mm long.Anyone care to share?Thanks,         -Bryan

1/31/2021 5:54 pm  #25

I always travel with atleast two digital bodies. In the past, its been a D2H for action and a D200. For now, my D300 is carried in a separate bag. It will be taking the place of my D200 in the main camera bag. If I go on a trip of say a week away from home, Ill usually carry 3-4 bodies. Still cant give up my D100.I carry multiple bodies for a variety of reasons. The D2H for action, wildlife, etc.. I also like to have different focal length lenses on the bodies so I dont have to change them and increase the possibility of dust on the AA filter.

Board footera